Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A Little Bit of Exercise

Sunday, May 4, 2008
I decided to move the chicks to a bigger box. They still fit in the Rubbermaid container but it just seems too crowded. This box is 21" x 21" x 14". They have much more room to move around. I have put their waterer and feeder on top of a 1" tall box top. I have read that alot of food gets wasted and frankly it does because they scratch around and throw the liter in both the food and water. Once they graduate to their coop I can hang them above the ground and avoid this problem.
Took the chicks out of the box and let them roam around the kitchen floor. They put up a fuss whenever I pick them up. But I talk softly to them, rub their bellies and under their wings and they calm down. It is amazing to me to be able to see the difference in them in just one week! The red frizzle has developed many more curls, the yellow and black mottled Cochin's have begun showing some white feathers on their wings and the polish crested are MUCH bigger and showing fluffy crowns.
I introduced Peaches (my kitty) to them and called them birdie boos since he knows that word for the parakeets. He pays little attention to them except to rub up against them when I hold them. While they wandered around the kitchen, Peaches just laid beside me and watched. No crouching, no pounce position, no flat ears like he was ready to stalk. That was interesting and fun.
I have lowered the temperature in their brooder by raising the light. I try to keep it about 75 degrees now. I love hearing the little peeps and they sleep alot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

follow me on Twitter