Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Work Continues on the Coop

Wednesday, June 4, 2008
I moved the chicks into their third box Sunday. I taped two large boxes together and cut off the roof with about 1 and 1/2 feet left on for a little dark area in case they wanted it. The box is about 5 feet long and 18 inches tall. I put a piece of chicken wire over the open areas. They seem to enjoy being able to move around more and I put dried grass in for litter. I also noticed they peck and play with the bird toys I've hung from the wire. They no longer need a heat lamp and the box sits on the floor now instead of the table. They are still a bit skittish when I reach in but I think it's mainly because the wire scratches the box and makes a big noise. So far the treats they've tried: popcorn, macaroni salad, crushed eggshells, chopped cucumber, dried cherries (didn't care for those), and bits of fried fish.
Kelly worked on the coop again this weekend. It's looking awesome! I primed and painted. The pressure treated lumber of the posts don't really need painting but I wanted the house to be a pale yellow with white trim.
I has been really hot the past couple of days and has made me concerned about the location of the coop. The run gets sun all afternoon and evening. I'll have to come up with something to provide them some shade while outside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

follow me on Twitter