Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Home Canning and Fresh Eggs

Some of the the goodies from the garden have been coming in nicely. I've had squash, cucumber, okra, banana peppers, and tomatoes. I expect the tomatoes to come rolling in over the next couple of weeks and have my empty canning jars ready. I plan to make spaghetti sauce, salsa, and stewed tomatoes. I've already canned squash, and made both sweet and dill pickles using fresh dill from my garden. This was my first attempt at making pickles and I am anxious to see how they taste later on. I've been getting brown eggs just about everyday but no white eggs in awhile. I pickled some eggs for lunches and pulverized all the shells I've been collecting lately. I rinse the egg shells, pulverize them, put them in a jar in the frig and add them to the chickens dish a couple of times a week. They gobble them up when they are mixed with a treat and it's good not only for their digestion but puts needed calcium back in their little bodies. Pictured above are various pictures of "the girls," preparing for canning, and various other pictures of what's been going on around here. I wish I knew how to add my pictures with captions under them and disperse the pictures throughout my text. However, I have not figured out how to do that yet. I welcome any tips on how to do that.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At August 11, 2009 at 3:35 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

Loving the pictures, loving the vegetables, the chickens, everything looks just great! :) The only way I knew to make my blog work where I could put comments in between the pictures is to use photobucket to host the pictures instead of the blogger host.

 
At August 14, 2009 at 9:19 PM , Blogger Donna said...

Hi Kelly! Nice to hear from you. I'm glad you're reading my blog. I wonder sometimes when I post if anyone ever sees it or thinks it's interesting. I've been on vacation and just checked email. More to post soon!

 
At September 29, 2009 at 6:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Donna, thought I would jump on here and say yes they are plastic storage boxes. I can post all the how to details on my blog if you are interested with a few more pics. I haven't got chooks yet but have had great fun mucking around with my fathers tools building it. Not a bad effort for a girl is what my father said when he saw it. But of course I let him help me by cutting the tin with the angle grinder. Wont touch one of those things with a fortyfoot barge pole. LOL

 
At December 28, 2009 at 11:01 PM , Anonymous corinne said...

Oh... I love it!

These pictures make me yearn for a simpler life where I can sustain my family on what we work for and tend to in a garden or small plot of earth.

You chickens are so cute I can hear how much you love them in your writing and see how much you love them through the lens of your camera... I hope you are keeping them cozy through the winter weather ~(:>~

Can't wait to see them back out and about in the spring!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

follow me on Twitter