Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Coop Sweet Coop #2

Work on Suite Coop #2 is just about finished. It still needs a little trim work where panels meet, but other than that, it's dreamy (for Paddy Cakes and Marty McFly anyway!). The house itself is smaller than Coop #1 because I realized a second coop did not need as much space. The size of the coop is 4 foot by 4 foot by 4 foot. I wanted something that I could reach well (I'm totally claustrophobic!), airy and light. For two little girls, this size is just perfect. We used project 2x3's, T-111 siding and PVC corrugated roofing (Clear View). The roofing turned out to be a most excellent choice as it lets in so much light. I probably would not have chosen this if this coop were not in the shade because the sun shining in the roof most of the day would probably be too much. The run is 6 feet tall, 5 feet wide, and 8 feet long. It is built of pressure treated 2x4's and 1-inch chicken wire. After construction was completed I did some painting and landscaping. I added some Japanese Painted Fern, Vinca, and rocks. I plan to paint the run soon in white to match the house trim (and the other coop) and will add some more shade plants around also. Again, I am really really pleased with the roof of the house. It lets in lots of light and extends the daylight inside for better egg production (I hope). I will supplement that with a light bulb in the dark days of winter just like in the other coop. Paddy, of course, has been laying since September and I expect Marty to begin in September as well. She is still too young to lay and is the youngest in the Blue Moon neighborhood. The new diggs turned out real cute and "there's just one thing left to say. Welcome home family, welcome home." (Ty Pennington could not be here).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

follow me on Twitter