Sunday, September 14, 2008

Eggcitement!!!

September 14, 2008
This weekend has been very egg-citing! Yesterday afternoon I went out to play with the chickens, change their water, etc. Paddy Cakes (the one in picture above) was making a funny little noise I had not heard before. I started thinking that perhaps she had laid an egg. I looked behind the feed can and sure enough, there was a beautiful little white egg. I don't think Paddy laid the egg as it's my understanding that the Cochins will lay brown eggs and the Polish will lay the white eggs. So - it must be either Lilliput or Truly. I was so excited that I immediately went in the house and called Momma, and Beth, and Kelly, and Kate. I just had to share this. I went back out and put each of the girls up in the nesting boxes with the fake eggs hoping they would get the hint that that's where I want them to lay.
This morning I found another egg just like yesterday's egg. It was not behind the feed can and it was not in the nesting boxes - it was just laying there in the middle of the house all protected by the pine shavings. I said thank you, gave them a treat and went in to fix breakfast. Peaches (kitty) enjoyed checking them out. I blew the eggs out by pricking each end with a pin so I could keep them. I won't do this to all of the eggs of course but did want to keep the first one. I got out the 'ol iron skillet and went to work. What a delight.

4 Comments:

At September 16, 2008 at 2:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How darling!? What is the quarter for? Awee I know that was egg-citing! I bet you thought I didn't come on your blog anymore but I do!! Take Care!! Looking forward to more egg-citing entries!

 
At September 16, 2008 at 4:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!! I am SO egg-cited that you got some eggs! LOL Were they tasty? Hey, did you go to the State Fair to see the poultry judging? Just curious......have a FANTABULOUS day! I am enjoying reading your posts about your chicks!! :) Keep them coming! Love ya! ~Sherry

 
At September 17, 2008 at 12:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna, she had an egg!!! That is so exciting! Was it the best fried egg you have ever had???

 
At September 25, 2008 at 10:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing! Exciting! I've been away it seems forever, it made my day to come here and see your chickys laying! I can't wait 'til I have a backyard, I'm so owning some cute little hens!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

follow me on Twitter