Tuesday, July 15, 2008

You Say Goodbye and I Say Hello

July 15, 2008
So much has happened in Chickendom since I last wrote. Let's see - my suspicions of having another roo were correct. One morning last week I was awakended by a crow from the backyard. I heard it again. At first I thought I was dreaming but . . . I went out (with my coffee of course) to observe through the back window without being noticed. Of course it didn't happen again and it didn't happen the next morning at all. Was I dreaming?
I spoke with Trisha on Wednesday evening and decided to pay her a visit on the weekend to let her have a look at my brood. I took Nutmeg (the suspected rooster), and the two Frizzle Cochins (Paddy Cakes and Cherry Cola) along. She pointed out the little nubs (sprouting spurs) on Nutmeg's legs. Duh!!! It didn't even occur to me to look for the beginning of spurs. I've notied his beautiful strong legs many times and rubbed them but never thought about that. He is such a gorgeous bird. He was going to be my show bird. But, you know I couldn't keep him. The two Frizzle Cochins appeared to be pullets. I traded Cherry Cola for a female Mottled Cohin (like the two little roosters I first discovered), and traded Nutmeg for a female version (Golden Laced Polish). Wow - what a difference between the male and female. She is an elf compared to him. The female Mottled Cochin is a tiny little thing also. Everyone is the same age though. (See above picture of me saying goodbye to Nutmeg, the rooster and of me with my new little Cochin and Trisha, my chicken friend).

1 Comments:

At July 16, 2008 at 2:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw its sad to have to see them go, but at least you have a few new ones to get acquainted with...
BTW I just love the patterns on those birds! I think if I had one I'd be picking up their molted feathers and making dreamcatchers or accessories out of them! :D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

follow me on Twitter